Thursday, January 16, 2014

Low, Medium, and High

There's something suuuuuper surreal about being handed a long list of cities and then told, "learn about these, because you will be moving to one of them in the next 6 to 18 months."

We got the fabled "bid list" last night. This is the list of posts that Tim and each of his new Foreign Service colleagues might end up in. It's basically the list we've been thinking about for two months (but also: ten years)  We have to read through them, rank them all "high" (yes, I would like to go to there), "medium" (meh), and "low" (I can't even).

You would not believe the Beautiful-Mind style spreadsheet I've created using a color-coded and probably indecipherable rating system designed to squeeze all of the mystery out of this process.

This creates the illusion that we have some choice in where we'll be going. In reality, even though the powers that be will carefully consider what we want, we could pretty much end up anywhere on the list.  (Or off the list. It's subject to change.) It's a very good exercise in being open minded, in reconsidering what's important to you (toilets -- functioning toilets are DEFINITELY important to me), and getting a reality check.

Once we learn where we're going (which will come MUCH faster than I'm prepared for) I will need to make a 'merica bucket list with things at both ends of the spectrum, from going to the top of the Washington Monument (I've lived here for six years and have never done that. THANKS EARTHQUAKE.) to watching episodes of 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' that are only licensed to be played in the U.S. on the internet.

Mostly though, I'm just praying for two things: I don't want to be posted in DC and I do want to go somewhere awesome enough that everyone will come and visit us.

(Also, I want the Broncos to win the Super Bowl, but that's a totally different issue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment